Marriage License Info

Marriage Licenses- Sugar Bowl is located in Placer County. Our County office is located in Auburn Ca. Below you will find all you need to know about marriage licenses. Here is a direct link to the site.

Our Auburn office processes marriage license applications between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. No appointment is necessary if you are applying for a license in our Auburn office.

Marriage license applications are also accepted in our Carnelian Bay office, however, it is by appointment only. Please call our office at (530) 886-5610 to schedule an appointment. The Carnelian Bay office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. The Carnelian Bay office can only accept the following methods of payment: check, money order, debit card or credit card (an additional charge of $7.00 will apply if using a debit or credit card). Prior to your appointment, please complete a marriage license application by logging on to After completion, please print the application and bring it with you to your scheduled appointment.

The Name Equality Act of 2007 (AB 102, Chapter 567, Statutes of 2007) gives specific rights to parties who are applying for their California marriage license, regarding choosing and listing on the marriage license, the new name(s) that each party will use after marriage (Family Code § 306.5 ). This law only pertains to marriage licenses issued on or after January 1, 2009 and does not apply to marriage licenses issued prior to that date.

Parties are not required to have the same name, nor are they required to change their name. If one or both of the parties want to have their new name shown on their marriage license, the new name must be entered on the marriage license application at the time they are applying for their marriage license. The name you indicate on your marriage license application will be your name on the marriage license certificate and cannot be changed by the county clerk. If you do not indicate a new name on your marriage license, a court order will be required to do a name change.

For more information please visit The Office of Vital Records

Wedding Keepsakes are available.

The following is information regarding public marriage licenses and confidential marriage licenses, who may perform a marriage ceremony, miscellaneous information, and frequently asked questions.

There are two types of marriage licenses a couple may apply for: Public and Confidential. Both types of marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date they are issued. The Public Marriage License can be used anywhere in the State of California. The Confidential Marriage License must be used in the county where it was purchased. You must present the license to the person who is to perform the marriage ceremony. After the ceremony is performed, it is that person’s responsibility to complete the license and to return it to the county clerk for filing within 10 days after the ceremony.

Applying for a Public or a Confidential Marriage License

Marriage License Application

Parties to be married must do the following to apply for a marriage license:

  1. Apply together and apply in person.
  2. Present a government issued picture identification, such as a driver’s license, passport or military ID.
  3. Provide full names, including mother’s maiden name, and state or country of birth for parents.
  4. If previously married or in a State Registered Domestic Partnership, provide the date of dissolution, death or termination.

If Purchasing a Confidential Marriage License, three additional requirements also apply:

Confidential Marriage License Application

  1. Both applicants must be over 18 years of age.
  2. Both applicants must be currently living together.
  3. The marriage must take place in the county where the license was purchased.

Who May Perform Marriage Ceremonies Per Family Code § 401
Marriage ceremonies may be performed by any priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination, a judge or retired judge, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record, a judge or magistrate who has resigned from office, or by a person authorized to do so under Family Code Section § 401.

Family Code Section § 401
For each county, the county clerk is designated as a commissioner of civil marriages. The commissioner of civil marriages may appoint deputy commissioners of civil marriages who may perform marriage ceremonies under the direction of the commissioner. Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a day

Civil Marriage Ceremonies
On a limited basis, ceremonies are performed through the Clerk-Recorders Office, Monday through Friday. Appointments are preferable, please call at least 24 hours in advance for scheduling the appointment. Those without an appointment will be served in accordance to available staff. Wedding ceremonies are only performed at the Clerk-Recorder’s office, located in Auburn. We do not perform ceremonies in the Carnelian Bay HHS-office.

Miscellaneous Information

  1. Minors, emancipated minors included, cannot be licensed to marry in California without a Superior Court Order, and cannot purchase a Confidential Marriage License. Please call for more information.
  2. There are no residency requirements for the parties to be married, or witnesses to the ceremony.
  3. The Public Marriage License can be used anywhere in the State of California. The Confidential Marriage License can only be used in the county it was issued in.
  4. One witness is required on the Public Marriage License. Two are also acceptable. No witnesses are necessary for the Confidential Marriage License.
  5. Certified copies are available at the Recorder’s Office for a fee of $15.00 for a Public license and $20.00 for a ConfidentialHow to order Authorized Marriage Copies .

Related Posts